Thursday, February 19, 2009

Missing the cut

Have you ever been asked the question which Bible character do you relate to the most? I was reading something this morning that made me think of that question. On Mark Batterson's blog he was talking about Matthias, the second-round draft pick. Let me refresh your memory in case you don't remember hearing much about him, he was picked to replace Judas. That's it. No other mention in the Bible about him. He didn't get taken in the first round with the twelve, but here is the attribute that set him apart when they needed someone to replace Judas - he had followed Jesus the entire time. Isn't that amazing? He was faithful in following Jesus. That is what I want to be known for. If I am going to strive to be like Jesus then I have to faithfully follow him. Pretty simple when you think about it.

I often feel because I am surrounded by people who are more creative, more athletic, able to communicate to large groups, more outgoing, more whatever (sucks to have talented friends sometimes)... that I am often on the second team. I am one of those who blends into the team and you forget is there. I know that each of us has a part to play, but come on, who doesn't want to be taken in the first round? Here is the thing with Matthias though, he didn't quit, he simply continued to follow Jesus. Did he have doubts? Was he jealous of the twelve at times? Did he want to quit when it got tough? I don't know, but I do know he was ready to serve when the opportunity came. I need to be ready to serve, ready to love, ready to take action when Jesus says go. I might be a second-round draft pick (maybe even lower in the draft than that), but I am called to be faithful - nothing more or nothing less.

No comments: