Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday thoughts

Some random thoughts from the week so far.
  • I am not very good at being sick. I don't have the patience for it. I think when I've been down a day I should be good to go, but my body keeps telling me otherwise. I am ready to be over this flu/stomach thing.
  • Started reading "Mad Church Disease" by Anne Jackson this week. It talks about burnout of those in ministry whether in a paid position, a volunteer or if your family is in ministry. Looking forward to reading it as I think a lot of people in ministry feel they have to do it alone and end up burning out. Like the transparency in the way she writes. Will probably see some of those thoughts in some future blogs here.
  • Looking forward to celebrating Presidents Day. Yup, it is a holiday that I now get off. Last several years at this time of the year I would have been in Dallas working 70 hour weeks. Have I said how much I like my job?
  • I think we underestimate Satan a lot of times. He is out to kill, steal and destroy. Not some minor things there. If he can bring us down, how many other people does that effect? He is out to win at all cost while we tend to think he is just playing games. Would we be more intentional about chasing Jesus if we really believed someone was out to destroy us?
  • I really like surprising people with the unexpected. Whether it is giving them something totally unexpected, serving them in some way, or just saying the unexpected. Some people are harder to surprise than others, but I have some plans that I am working on. That should scare some of you.
  • Wondering what God has planned for me in the future. I felt like he was leading me a certain direction, but I am not so sure now. I wonder if he is just stretching me in different ways so that I can be prepared for the next step - whatever that may be. Kind of exciting, but also kind of scary. Never know what wild thing he may want you to do.
  • Been an emotionally draining month for me. I'm ready to move on from that. Sometimes I wish I could just shut down my brain and not think about things so much.

Looking forward to the weekend (hopefully I will be over whatever I have by then). Not much planned other than a couple of basketball games, having some pizza with one of our friends, reading some of a fiction book I am part way through and a date with my wife. Pretty low keyed stuff, but a good three day weekend.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you're going to be in town for this Valentine's Day. Hope you are feeling better tomorrow! I'm looking forward to our date on Sunday. Love you!