Monday, February 2, 2009

Friendship - part 2

Read the following during lunch today and it seemed to go along with my post from this morning (at least in my mind it does).

"We believe life change happens best in relationships. Life change, that is, transformation. It is facilitated by biblical teaching. It is inspired in worship. It happens through everyday life experiences. It is nurtured and developed in accepting and honest relationships.

Relationships are scary for many people. Groups are even scarier. People have had weird experiences in church small groups. Friends have betrayed confidences. People tend to be leery of other people getting too close. And yet, God designed us for friendship, for relationships where can know and be known. Where we can experience grace because someone accepts us...anyway. And loves us too much to leave us there."

I have been trying to figure out how small groups or life groups or whatever you want to call them are suppose to work. Don't know how you model it to meet every one's need or even if there even needs to be a one size fits all approach. What I do know is that these relationships are the type of friendships that have shaped and developed the life changes I have experienced. I know how they work for me (sort of...well not really, but I know that I need them and seek them) and that if we are consistently in those type of relationships that a life change is more likely to happen. Can you tell relationships are on my mind today? They often are ... even though I officially suck at them most of the time, my heart desires those types of relationships as I move forward in trying to be more like Jesus every day.

No comments: