Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What do you need to risk?

Risk - what does that word conjure up for you? I think most people hear that word and think caution. Take it slow, get all of the facts, think through all of the options, know the lay of the land before you jump in. How does that apply to our faith? Are we to avoid risk? Proceed slowly? Jump right in? I love the risk takers. Those people who jump in and are ready for whatever may be thrown their way. I am learning to live more that way. When prompted, I try to act on it then. Not wait, not think through it too much, but just follow through with it. Scary for me a lot of times because I don't know what people will think of the ideas or thoughts I have. Will I be judged as unprepared, as a little too radical (Oh, I definitely hope so!), pushing the envelope, or as a little different (probably)? I think we spend so much time keeping our dreams from happening, from allowing God to give us big things to accomplish for him because we are afraid of the risk. We usually only get one chance at most opportunities. I don't want to miss that chance because I was afraid to jump. Kind of like the first time you go rappelling and lean out of over the edge. It is scary and requires a little bit of trust, but man is it worth it. Or the first time you go down the ski slopes. It is a risk, but each time it gets easier and more fun. What do you need to risk? For me, it is finding a new way to lead. Not held back by the way things have always been done, but willing to push the envelope. Challenge the status quo. Not reckless in doing it, but hopefully risky in the process. Again, what is it that you need to risk? Love to hear your hearts on what you are needing to risk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever felt like you risked too much? As I turned 30 this year and have a family I'm starting to seek and wonder what is an acceptable amount of risk for the season of life that you are in. This would be one of those times for a Sonic run for one of those good discussions! Good thoughts.

Jacob Epperson said...

what is the difference between being responsibly risky (oxymoron? I think you'll get what I'm saying) and irresponsibly risky? It's one thing take a leap of faith - to jump when prompted, even if it appears for onlookers - and a different thing all together to thoughtlessly dive off the ledge, assuming it is a good move. Where is the line between the two? What sets the two apart?