Monday, October 20, 2008

Awesome to... really?

Been reading the Psalms the last couple of weeks. I can so relate to the way David seems to go from God you are amazing to these people suck to God where did you go? (A very loose paraphrase to say the least.) I love the fact these emotions are shown in the Bible in how we relate to God. God does not get frustrated or upset when we bring our wide range of emotions to Him. It is the ultimate relationship. We have the chance to lay it all before Him... the outrageous dreams, the frustrations, the questions, our broken hearts...all the while He continues to love us. Jesus modeled this same consistent love and openness. He didn't tire of the sincere questions, the disciples who didn't always get it, or the people who had screwed up multiple times. In fact those are the ones he was drawn to. That is encouraging to me. He wants to be in a relationship with me. To talk to me, share his ideas, show me his love and hear what I have on my heart. Here is the part that is hard for me in the day to day of life - we are suppose to do the same. Love people, be with them and listen during their good times along with the bad, forgive multiple times. I want it from God, but have a harder time showing the same in return to others. I often want to withdraw and pull out of relationships. I get tired of the inconsistencies, the work required to make it worthwhile, being open when I would prefer to retreat, loving when I don't want to. I know I often fail at doing this, but that doesn't change the fact that is the level I have been called to. Whatever you are feeling right now, take it to God. He desires to hear from you. When you are done talking with Him, find someone to offer the same listening ear to. Be a friend that desires to hear the awesome as well as the really?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently read that as much as 70% of Psalms is negative. I wonder what that means for us?