Monday, October 6, 2008

OK, I get it...again (I think)

Ever have the feeling that you are suppose to be learning something, but that you are really slow at getting it? That's my life. If you have ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day", that is what my life often looks like. I make it through the day having messed it up in multiple ways and think I am so glad that day is over only to realize that the next day has the same lesson to be learned. The funny thing is that normally the lesson for me is basically the same one each time. It has different variations and comes about in different settings and circumstances, but the general idea is the same. The idea isn't that difficult to understand, it is just putting it into practice where I have the problem. I understand the theory, just not the application. The big idea? It is simply this - It isn't about me, it is about God. When it becomes about me is when the problems occur. Last night I was around several people but felt all alone. I didn't get it because there were some people there I know fairly well and usually enjoy being around. Looking back after whining to God last night about my desire to have someone to talk about the things going on, I realized I was so focused on me that I may have missed several opportunities to serve others. That is the thing. When I focus on serving Him, then the things I am struggling with he takes care of. I don't get his timing or even pretend to have a grasp on what He can do, but I do know that is where my focus needs to be. So at least for this moment, I get it again. I will probably need someone to remind me again tomorrow, but for now I am focused on serving Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my Lesson from Recovery is that forgiving is the ongoing Jesus Lesson in my life. I think its because I get things... but I dont really get them. I mean, I usually get it... that its something that I need to do..... but sometimes Im not in a forgiving mood. But then again... so what. God doesn't wait to get in the mood for forgiveness.

Still using the illustration.... sometimes it is because I am confused about what forgiveness is... how i have freedom to utilize it.... like a tool... at any point in my life. And then sometimes its just because I dont want to.

Some lessons are intellectual I think. But some, for me at least, go deeper than that...

jamie