Sunday, October 12, 2008

I have an idea...

The words that strike fear in my wife these days are the following... I have an idea. Code word for hold on because there are some changes I want to make. It is funny to me how different we are in this area. Change excites me, not so much for her. Routine makes her feel safe, not so much for me. We have learned how to communicate this to each other. For the most part, I try to prepare her for when I have an idea that is going to change her routine. She is willing to hear me out (even though it usually costs her sleep as I tend to talk a lot more at night) and walk through the idea. We don't always agree, but usually we can get there. The key to me is that we talk about it. Honestly talk about it. The pros, the cons, what hesitations we have, any warning flags...our conversations usually cover all of that. The honest communication is what makes it work.

I have lots of ideas recently. Things to make our church more relevant (and no that isn't a bad word regardless of what some people may think) in our community. Change scares a lot of people because it can mean venturing into the unknown and that an idea may fail. The thing I've got to remember is the communication process. I am ready for change once I have the idea, but I need people who can walk through the process. It can be frustrating to me at times, but sometimes the pace needs to slow down so that change isn't ten steps ahead of where most people are. I want to push and challenge the way we do things. I am learning that is part of my role as a leader. I am also learning that being a leader means bringing others along in the process. For the idea to become a reality we have to have the right people on the bus. (This is a concept I heard from Jim Collins at Catalyst.) The key seats filled by the right people. For me that needs to include some people who can see the big picture but also who may need to slow down the pace. Again, honest communication and a willingness to walk through all of it. I truly love those people who can have those transparent and honest conversations. We may push back with each other at times, but I think that only means the idea is better in the end. It may still fail, but that is okay. Failure isn't a bad thing. It may be the step that needs to be taken to refine the idea even more or allow us to move on to the next one.

2 comments:

Chris Ediger said...

I can so relate to this post. Honestly, I could probably just cut & paste this into my own blog & it would work for Andrea & I :-)

Andrea Ediger said...

Yes, Chris could. He is the idea man. I wouldn't say I'm more comfortable in my routine, so much as more comfortable in a plan. I like to see the plan for point 'a' to indeed end up at point 'b' - or at least a rough draft.

But now, of course, I want to hear the 'idea', too. As you and Chris are visionaries and Lisa and I are often on the receiving end of these, it helps that you both put thought and prayer into how you present 'ideas' - sometimes pieces at a time - to help us get on that vision bus!