Monday, October 13, 2008

Second guessing

Things I am often confident about at one moment, I tend to second guess the next day. I wish that at times I could see how the other road played out. If I didn't say this or if I had done that instead what would the outcome have been. Something I am sure is the right thing to do today, tomorrow I am wondering if I should have waited on following through. I sometimes envy those people who don't give their decisions a second thought. They are fully confident in their opinion and move forward with it. The other extreme are those who can't make a decision. Paralyzed trying to make sure they never fail. I am glad that I live in that middle ground most of the time, but occassionally question the wisdom in some of my decisions. Luckily for me, my wife acts as the filter that I run a lot of ideas through. If she is all for something, then I feel better about that decision. If there is hesitation on her part, then it often means I need to wait. I am usually willing to risk failing at something. That doesn't scare me. What I second guess the most are decisions that effect relationships. Do I really say what is on my mind or should I wait awhile longer? If I fail at a project, it may sting, but I can learn from it and move on. If I fail at a relationship moment, I may never get that opportunity again.

Have had several of those moments recently where I just don't know if I made the right decision. Was talking to a friend today and wondering how things might have played out differently if I had made some different decisions. I know that I won't ever know, but makes me cautious in my current relationships. If I had said some things or not said some things would he be in a different place today? I know everyone makes their own decisions, but I can't deny the impact others have on some of those decisions as well. Another area where I don't know. Add it to the ever-growing long list of things that I don't know. Some day it may make sense, today it just leaves me questioning the decisions I make in friendships.

No comments: