Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Are you passionate or whatever?

Lots of ideas still floating around in my mind from Catalyst. I was in funk yesterday and I think I might understand why now. The thought occurred to me today that for the several days that I was at Catalyst and for most of the week after I was surrounded with people who were passionate about Jesus, the church and ministry. I was living in that community pretty much 24/7. The best I can describe it is that is kind of like when you go to CIY (or whatever your church camp event is called) and you are surrounded for the entire week with people passionate about God. Then when you get back it is sometimes a rough adjustment because you now have multiple things trying to get your attention. I think I miss the focus, fun, intensity and community. I thrive on those things especially community. I have a high desire to be interacting with people on a deeper level. If I don't, then I run the risk of getting to the attitude of whatever. My desire is to create that community on a consistent level. Not always easy with conflicting schedules, different priorities and different personalities. Trying to figure out how it works, but know that is what motivates my heart a lot of the time.

Along the lines of passion, I found this on a blog from Perry Noble's session at Catalyst. (I didn't actually hear this as it took place on the labs the day before we got there, but it is still good.) The following are four questions he asks himself constantly to make sure he's keeping his passion.
  1. How much time do I spend listening to God? Listening takes time. A consistent, uninterrupted time. I think listening is something most people have a hard time doing. I can't tell you how many times I am having a conversation with someone and they are reading a text message or checking their phone. To me that screams I am not really listening to you. I think we do that to God as well. We try to multi-task which means doing a lot of things and usually none of them well.
  2. Am I more concerned with being discovered or developed? Are you thinking about what other people think of you or your ministry instead of allowing God to develop your relationships with others and Him? I am often concerned with what other people think about me when if I would instead invest in those relationships I would be so much better off for it.
  3. Am I believing any lies? Are their certain lies that you believe that are holding you back? Don't allow critics to doubt what God is calling you to do. For me this means letting people into my life who can see the lies for what they are. I know I have blind spots that I need someone else to see for me.
  4. Am I risking or am I playing it safe? If you are playing it safe you probably aren't moving forward. The next risk may be the breakthrough or it could be a failure. It doesn't matter. If God tell you to do something, do it...even if others think you are crazy.

Pursue your passion for Jesus, the church and those He loves. We can't afford to do anything less.

No comments: