Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hidden agendas?

Does anyone else play the assumption game? The game that says based on their actions this must be what they are thinking or their reasons for doing/not doing something. I've found that even though I am pretty observant that the assumptions I make are often wrong. Sometimes I give the other person too much credit, sometimes I don't know someone as well as I think I do, sometimes my emotions cloud the view, sometimes I am just plain wrong. I've lived the statement that says "you know what happens when you assume?" (If you don't know the answer, ask around as I am sure someone can tell you.) My view is based on their actions or appearances. Those can be deceiving. What I see may not match the reasons for those actions. I ran across this in my reading last night. Proverbs 21:2 says "We justify our actions by appearances; God examines our motives." We see the outward, God examines the inside. So my assumptions may be wrong. What I think your motive is doesn't really matter, but God knows the real motive. He cuts through the walls and layers we build to see our hearts. Kind of scary, but also kind of cool. Does our actions match our motives? I may not know if your appearances are real, but that doesn't matter because God is looking intently at our motives.

No comments: