Thursday, September 3, 2009

Limited time only

What is worth your time? Do you ever stop and consider how valuable your time is? We each have a limited amount of time each day. We each get the same 24 hours to spend. I've heard people say that how you spend your money reflects where your heart is. Well, I think the same is true with your time. Where are you going to spend it? I was talking with a guy last night who said he tries to carve out 3 times a day to spend with God. It is a priority for him. He has to guard it because otherwise it can be spent on the urgent or being busy but not on the important. We make time for the important. It may mean sacrificing some things. It also requires you to look at what is important to you. My guess is if you can't list the important things to you that your time will be spent before you know it on whatever comes along first. There is always something willing to take your time. Maybe it is sitting in front of the TV or computer. Maybe it one more hobby to invest your time in. Maybe it is the mundane things in life like mowing the yard, cleaning the house or other things like that. Maybe it is spending more and more time at work.

Unlike with the phone plan, we don't get rollover minutes. If we waste the time on the unimportant, then that time is gone forever. We don't get more time later on either. So what are the important things you want to be spending your time on? Once we start shaping our schedule around those important things, then the "extra time" (Whatever that is. I think I've rarely if ever seen that.) can fall to the less important. How are you going to spend your time today? On the important or on whatever comes your way?

1 comment:

jamie said...

I Have spent my entire week doing things that were intentional spiritual things, and I really feel great about it. I spent the majority of my Tuesday with my family and in the evening praying with a group of guys at a hospital.

I spent Wednesday mostly making connections with people who I think needed some kind of spiritual connection (some of them who didn't even realize it at the time).

And i spent today hanging out with an old friend from College; a guy who I first learned to do community with when I first came to faith in Jesus.

I am tired. I have to admit that, and I have one more thing tonight before I return to work tomorrow. But I feel good about my week (Did miss blogging this week, but wanted to get in at least one day this week before it all winds down, as is a priority to me as well).

But generally I would say I feel good. I feel like I walked in faith, took advantage spiritual opportunities, and did things that were spiritually significant (that includes some planned rest). Haven't had a week like this in quite some time.