Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Breathing deeply

Take a deep breath. Slow down. Be still.

My alarm didn't go off this morning. It was set, but I apparently forget to turn it on. Most days that's not much of a problem, but today I was suppose to be meeting someone in 35 minutes... across town... that would take 20 minutes to get there. 15 minutes to get ready, pack a lunch and be out the door. What normally takes 30 minutes was now being cut in half. Today started running at full speed, already behind.

That feels like my life the last several days. Out of control. Running from one thing to the next. I know it is just a season, but it is tiring. The sad thing is that I think most people live their lives this way. Staying busy with little time to be still. Wonder what they are missing by keeping this pace? The chance to hear God speak about their purpose? The opportunity to make a difference in someones life? The chance to talk to a friend? The privilege to be in community? The needed conversations with their spouse? The chance to play with their kids?

Why? Why do we run until collapse? Why do we feel it is better to be busy? Why try to cram one more thing in? Is it that tough to slow down?

Today I choose to slow down. Have the conversations. Listen to God. Invest where I can. The things on my list that don't get done... they will have to wait. When was the last time you slowed down and were still? Is your schedule controlling you or you controlling your schedule? Really it is our choice most of the time.

1 comment:

brianj33 said...

Thanks, man. I needed to hear that today.