Monday, September 14, 2009

Optimist or pessimist?

Are you an optimist or pessimist? Or as some people refer to it, are you a dreamer or realist? Overall I think I am probably an optimist. I can usually see the good in most situations and believe things can always improve. Sometimes, when I am the one involved, I may lean a little more toward the pessimistic viewpoint, but generally speaking I see the glass as half full with the potential for a full glass. Recently though I've leaned more towards the other end of the spectrum. Situations where I've expected little to nothing from people. Preparing to be disappointed. Doubting that things will work out like I hoped. Trying to be more "realistic" about my expectations. Know what I've discovered? I don't like being a realist. See to me, the problem of being pessimistic is that there is no hope. Hope is what gives me the energy to keep trying even when I don't see immediate results. Hope keeps me moving forward.

I was ready to give up on some people. Walk out and not look back. I was just tired of trying without any movement. That all changed in one Sunday morning as I heard stories that changed my view. Stories of how others loved. Stories of people being selfless. Other people surprised me by taking action. My hope was restored that maybe it does make a difference. Maybe community can exist like I dream about. Really, a lot of the change was about what I was focusing on. Where I place my focus tells a lot about what is important to me. The more important to me, the more time and energy is focused in that direction. Are you focused on the good or bad? Our viewpoint helps shape a lot of our attitude. We get to choose if we see the potential for good or bad in any situation. We get to decide if we are going to hope or give up. What viewpoint are you going to choose - optimistic or pessimistic?

No comments: