Friday, September 18, 2009

Missing what is right in front of me

"Somehow, though he moves right in front of me, I don't see him; quietly but surely he's active, and I miss it." (Job 9:11 - the Message version)

Wonder where God is moving right in front of me and I don't see it? What is He doing that I am suppose to be a part of, but am missing it?

Sometimes I clearly know what I am supposed to do. Other times I don't have a clue. Whether I know or not, God is still at work though. The difference is often whether I am looking for those places to join Him in what he is already doing. We don't have to prompt God to act. He is already moving. I just need to be searching for those areas and then jump in with Him. Wonder if we try to make it more difficult than it is sometimes? Sounds like we need to look and listen and then we will know where God is working. Sounds easy huh? Wonder why it is so hard then? Could it be that my focus is more on me than Him? How much are you seeing these days?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love this scripture. I ran into it at a very difficult time in my life, and I was reading Job to try and make sense of what was going on and I remember being kind of freaked out by it. It has almost a ghostly feel to it. But in difficult things its one of those stop and think moments and imagine what kinds of things might be going on around you that you're entirely unaware.

It seems like at some point in the maturity process I have to shift gears from asking the question what does God want me to do with my life? To asking, what is it that God is doing?
Because it's not really about me..

I see a lot of different areas where God seems to be working, specifically in the church in the way of unity, and community and working truth and doctrine through these filters so that Jesus has a real body (not a fragmented body) in this world with real arms and legs.

Everything I see God doing on a local level, (or personel level) looks like this to me.