Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Open book

I finished reading a fiction book called "Providence" by Chris Coppernoll last week and it got me thinking about what it would be like to write my life story. In the story the main character is pushed to write his memoirs and in the process revisits a lot of his past that he has spent the last 20 years packing away. Things he has locked away that have shaped and haunt him. How would I feel to see my "entire" life story written for all to read? I would want to edit parts of the story. Forget about decisions that I made, things that wouldn't look so good in the bright light, written for everyone to see. I would want the cleaned up version or better yet the fiction version that could add things that I didn't even accomplish. Not really though, as I know the things that have been part of my past are the things that have shaped who I am today. Not that I would make the same choices if I had the chance to make them again, but through those experiences (good and bad) I have become who I am now. I think that is part of God's plan to use us where we are at. We get the chance to take our past and use it shape what the future will look like. We can't change what has happened, but we can change what will happen. Another thing that struck me as I was reading this book was that God actually does see my "entire" story. We may think there are parts of us that no one else knows about but God is there for the entire story. He sees us as we are writing our memoirs. What does your story say? Who are the main characters in your life story? Interesting for me to envision my life as book being written for others to read. What chapter are you writing right now?

No comments: