Friday, December 19, 2008

Change - what's the cost?

Change - what does it cost? Been thinking some more about the whole New Year's resolutions idea. I think we want to change things a lot of times (why we have New Year's resolutions to begin with), but we don't want it to cost us anything. We want results with out the pain of getting there. We want to to skip the price paid to change. Can you have change without it costing you? I don't think so. Whether it is physical (watch the number of people at the gym in January and then compare that to how many are there in February) or to change some behavior, it is going to cost you something. Sometimes a radical change. Most people I know, don't like change. What I have decided is that the change isn't the scary part for them, it is what is going to cost. Giving up something, doing something new or different (cost is the anxiety of the unknown), giving up time, giving up something you enjoy - that is the cost of change. Usually for me that change isn't going to happen by myself, I need someone pushing me, encouraging me, reminding me why the price is worth it. I may be able to go so far on my own, but someone pushing me will help me past the limits I think I have. Another thing about change, there are no shortcuts. If we cheat or lie about where we are at in the process, it may look like we are changing to others but really we aren't. If we decide to workout 4 times a week, but then start explaining why we can't make it to the gym this week, my guess is that change isn't really happening. We have an idea of what we want to change, but we aren't willing to pay the price for that change. I have some things I am trying to change right now (call it long-term New Year's resolutions), I have people helping to encourage and push me in those areas, but if when they ask me about it I lie about the progess I am making, have I really sacrificed to change? Probably not. Change is a process, but it is one that requires a commitment, a willingness to pay the price over the long haul. If you really want to change something, consider the cost first. If you are willing to pay that price, find someone who can help you push it to the next level, and then start the process. Change has a cost, but usually it is worth it. What do you want to change?

No comments: