Monday, December 15, 2008

Wrapping up "Tribes" and a question for you

Finished reading Seth Godin's book "Tribes" this weekend and wanted to share a couple of final thoughts from it about leadership that stood out to me. The following are what he calls the elements of leadership:


  • Leaders challenge the status quo.

  • Leaders create a culture around their goal and involve others in that culture.

  • Leaders have an extraordinary amount of curiosity about the world they're trying to change.

  • Leaders use charisma (in a variety of forms) to attract and motivate followers.

  • Leaders communicate their vision of the future.

  • Leaders commit to a vision and make decisions based on that commitment.

  • Leaders connect their followers to one another.

One other quote that I really like - "Remarkable visions and genuine insight are always met with resistance. And when you start to make progress, your efforts are met with even more resistance...the forces of mediocrity will align to stop you, forgiving no errors and never backing down until it's over." The more I've thought about it, this last quote really encourages and motivates me. I have met resistance in several of my ideas and they seem to take quite awhile to make progess and I was frustrated because I didn't understand why people didn't "get it". Looking at it now, I would say that the forces of mediocrity were at play. The comments of "we can't do that" or people pointing out why things would fail instead of building enthuisasm for change used to irritate me (still does sometimes), but really a lot of the time it is about us settling. Change requires work, so it is easier to settle and accept something that is mediocre than fight for the vision.


So what do you think about his definition of a leader? Know anybody who you would say has those 7 elements? Next book up for me is "Compassionate Leadership". There seems to be a theme running through my current reading selection. Another chance for some interactive participation here, sometime this week I will post a blog based on something you would like to hear my thoughts about (not that they are important, but as a way to start some dialogue). Not looking for anything in particular and if I don't find any that interest me that is fine as well, but curious what thoughts you would like to talk about.

1 comment:

brianj33 said...

I agree with Goden's descriptions of leaders.
One related issue that I've wrestled with is remaining humble in the process. Sometimes when I challenge the status quo it's because I think I'm smarter than the people who put into play the system or program that I'm challenging. My idea might be better, but it also might not be.
I've also had some ideas shot down (and I'm thinking specifically in terms of some YM ideas) that bothered me. Part of me wants to think they got shot down because everyone else is settling for mediocrity or because they aren't thinking as clearly as me. But another part of thinks that the team is probably smarter than me. They heard and thought about my idea - they just didn't think it was wise or good.
I guess what I'm suggesting is that there has to be a tension here.
It helped me a great deal in YM settings to know that there was a great deal of trust amongst all of us, so I think this is a huge part of the equation.