Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Slowing down the pace

Funny how life seems to have a definite high energy and slower pace mode for me. I tend to go in mulitple directions at once or retreat from the frantic pace. Sometimes I think I would like to go at a more steady pace but I really don't like that very much (probably my neurosis with predictability). Honestly if I could sustain the high energy, especially relationship wise, I would, but God has wired me to rest. Been thinking through the idea of working from my rest, instead of resting from my work. When I step back and allow things to come to me (think basketball, of letting the game come to you instead of trying to force things) then I am much more productive. Running at a fast pace doesn't mean that I am getting anywhere fast, just expending a lot of energy. I think God created the Sabbath to help us refocus and to let the game come to us. He knows that we will spend lots of time and energy running around without really accomplishing much, so slowing down occassionally allows us to adjust and see things we might miss if we are running full speed ahead. I feel I have been in one of those slower times the last couple of days. My initial reaction is to start doing things... trying to force things to happen, but I think for me it is good to have the slower pace and just be still. That is one of the hardest things for me to do... just be still. But in the stillness, it gives me the chance to reflect on what is important to me and see if I am really investing in those areas. That is preparing me to work from my time of rest. Slowing down enough to adjust and now move forward with more energy and a more defined purpose. This is probably toughest for me to do in relationships. I love talking to people and being involved in their lives, but I think sometimes it is good for me to back away and adjust my focus and expectations. Let the game come to me and not force it. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense to most people, but for me it helps clear the clutter of where I am suppose to be investing my time. Not forcing it where I want to go, but allowing it to happen. What about you, do you work out of your rest or rest from your work?

No comments: