Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Today

Read a phrase again today that I have heard several times - "a long obedience in the same direction." (Eugene Peterson) Kind of fits with where my mindset is these days regarding pursuing God. Today I can control the choices I make, the decision to pursue with all of my being, to reflect His glory, to take care of the least of these. The todays add up to that long obedience. I get overwhelmed with thinking about the future and what I need to be doing or the impact that I am suppose to have, but God wants me today. My whole focus on him for this day only, not wondering about tomorrow or what I did yesterday. I can do it today, that is what He wants. That long obedience occurs one day at a time.

Had a challenge last night from a friend that said let's move from talking about taking care of the least of these and start doing it. We have our schedules packed with Christian things, but are we taking care of those we have been called to look after? Have a idea of what that might look for me and honestly it will stretch me. Another person's passion who says lets do this, let's move today on what we know we are suppose to be doing. Don't know how the idea works or have all of the details, but know that is what I am suppose to do. I love the community I have surrounding me. A community that encourages me and that I have fun with, but also challenges me to live it out today. Moving forward, hoping the cumulative effect of my decisions today will impact the future. Hoping that 20 years down the road that when I am sitting with those friends that we can look back and say we have together moved forward in "a long obedience in the same direction." Making today the day that I pursue Him with all of my heart. What do you need to do today?

No comments: