Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spring cleaning in December

I am in a mood to get rid of junk. This last week I was up in the attic getting down our Christmas decorations (We probably have enough stuff to decorate every room in our house and two trees at a minimum. Have to say my wife loves Christmas decorations, music and basically anything related to this time of the year.) when I came across some boxes with various stuff in them. Looking through these boxes I wondered why I had kept some of the things in there. Things that I am sure 5 years ago meant enough for me to save it, but looking at it today I couldn't tell you what significance it had. So out it is going. Some going in the trash, other stuff going to others who can hopefully get some use out of it. I found 3 coats of mine that I don't wear anymore and probably never will. Couldn't somebody living out on the streets, or somebody whose house got burned down, etc. get a lot more use out of those than letting them sit in our attic? I don't want more things to replace those either. I want to simplify. That doesn't mean we get rid of everything and live with the bare necessities (huge sigh of relief from our boys I am sure), but it does mean that I don't acquire more things just to have things.

I have also decided there is some other junk I need to get rid of. Things from my past that I have been carry around for too long, hurts, insecurities, doubts - you name it, we all have stuff we hold onto that really needs be thrown out. The hard part is that I know that this type of cleaning isn't a one time process. It will need to be done again and again as I start collecting more junk that I don't need. This is the area I really want to simplify my life in. Learning to live in the moment and not hold too tightly to the past or worry about what is coming around the corner. To live fully in the moment. Get a head start on your January resolutions and spring cleaning. What do you need to clean out?

No comments: