Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New year's resolution with a twist

What if next year your only goal was to pursue God? No other agenda, no set list of things to accomplish, no worrying about the day to day stuff, but purely and simply chasing after God. Scary? Exciting? Overwhelming? Impossible? Irresponsible? What emotions or thoughts does doing something like that generate for you? I read an excellent post by Amy Storm's on this idea (by the way, if you don't read her blog you ought to as she is very talented writer) that got me thinking about what that would mean for me. Isn't that we are suppose to be doing anyway? Pursuing God as if our life depended on it (which it does by the way). Would my life be more radical, less hurried, less worried about things I can't control, more passionate about the "least of these"? Having only one passion and one goal to concentrate on. I think the rest of our lives would simply fall in line because we would be chasing the most important thing. We talk about having our priorities in order and wouldn't this be the ultimate priority list? I think our pursuit of Him would evolve as the year went on. It may look different at times in the way that we pursued Him, but the method isn't the point, the pursuit is. Could I truly accomplish it? Don't know, but I know by trying to pursue Him above all else would definitely shape my life, the actions I take, the decisions I make, every part of my life. Any takers on setting only this one goal for next year?

2 comments:

Amy Storms said...

Kenneth-

Thanks so much for the comment and for the kind words. "His priorities turn the world's upside down."--So true! As silly as it sounds, I'm nervous to go into 2009 with no plan! If we're serious about this, just imagine where we could be a year from now. I can't imagine, really. Could be quite an adventure.

Great thoughts--thanks for sharing!

Amy

Anonymous said...

I wanna wake up each day with this on my mind.I know it's pathetic, but I'll need some helps/reminders/kicks in the face to do this.

The following passage got me pretty revved-up:
2 Chron 15:10-15
10 They assembled at Jerusalem in the third month of the fifteenth year of Asa's reign. 11 At that time they sacrificed to the LORD seven hundred head of cattle and seven thousand sheep and goats from the plunder they had brought back. 12 They entered into a covenant to seek the LORD, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul. 13 All who would not seek the LORD, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman. 14 They took an oath to the LORD with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns. 15 All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the LORD gave them rest on every side.
NIV