Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Random thoughts from the last 24 hours

It is interesting to me how many random things catch my attention. They may only hold my attention for a minute, but they still capture it for a little while. So here are some of the random things that have held my thoughts captive over the last 24 hours. (Some of them I will continue to dwell on for quite awhile, while others of them will be quickly forgotten shortly after writing them.)
  • Saw that the Al and Tipper Gore are getting divorced after 40 years of marriage. Really? This is sad to me. Sad that you could love someone for that long and then be willing to give up on that. Don't know anything about their marriage (obviously), but isn't it worth fighting for? On a brighter side, I'm going to St. Louis this week to celebrate the fact that my parents will have been married 50 years later this year. I feel incredibly blessed to have their example of what a loving marriage looks like in my life.
  • Noticed a "slippery when wet" sign this morning as I came into the building. I pass it every morning on my way in, but I just now noticed it. (Not bad. It only took about 2 years to notice it.) Do we really need to tell someone that if something is wet that it will probably be slippery as well? Isn't this common knowledge? Do we really need signs for obvious things? Maybe I give too much credit to people on what should be common sense. I really don't think common sense is really all that common. (Also laughed at this sign for other reasons, but I won't bring that up.)
  • Being teachable is an important quality that doesn't get enough recognition. Hard quality to come by as a lot of people think they have it all figured out. (Funny how you can have it figured out and the person who disagrees with you can also have it figured out. Someone must be wrong.) Teachable means you are humble enough to know that there are things that you can still learn whether you are 14 or 72. I don't think you can be too humble. I dare you to try? (Which by the way, humility can't be faked. Maybe for a little while, but it is a characteristic of who you are or it isn't.)
  • Felt kind of quiet last night for no particular reason. I appreciated the friend who asked me (a couple of times actually) if something was wrong. There wasn't, but I noticed I felt more joy when I was able to start focusing on someone else. Sometimes serving and focusing on others may be the best cure for our problems. It takes the spotlight off of ourselves and lets us love others. We are really good at loving ourselves, but we can always use the practice at loving others.
  • Don't watch much TV or very consistently for that matter, but if I was to pick a character that I relate to the most it would be Jim from "The Office". I love when a comment is made and he gives that look to the camera. That look that says "Did you get what they just said?" I experience that frequently. It is best when it can be shared with someone else who gets it. Nothing more frustrating that having one of those comments made and no one to share it with. Love that my wife has been corrupted by me (her words) and catches those most of the time and that some of my good friends also operate on the same immature level as me. Makes live more interesting and fun. (Also like the character that he played in the movie "It's Complicated")

Hope you notice some random things that make you laugh today. Look around because they are there. Also hope you have some thoughts that make you did a little deeper as well. Good balance of both of these are good. Enjoy your Wednesday!


No comments: