Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Worthy pursuit

Is it worth pursuing? I wonder if we ask that question quite frequently without knowing it. Is it worth the effort that it will require? Or will I just sit back and see what comes along?

I often talk on this blog about pursuing Jesus. See to me pursuing something means I am determined to do my best in that pursuit. It is a choice I make to whole-heartedly chase after something. I chose to pursue my wife when we were dating. To put my best effort forward. (Hopefully, I continue to show that same kind of pursuit even though we have been married for quite awhile now.) It isn't something you would do with a weak, half-hearted attempt. A pursuit implies that it matters deeply to you and something you are willing to sacrifice for.

What are you willing to pursue? A lot of the times we give lip service to pursuing things. We know something is important and we talk about pursuing it, but are we willing to sacrifice for it? Talking about doing something isn't the same as doing it. Pretty simple huh? But still we often do that. We talk about what we are going to do, but then we never get around to actually doing it.

Complacency is the easy answer. It doesn't require me to do anything. It is the opposite of pursuing something. Sometimes I think we get to spot in our pursuit where we stop to rest and forget to start pursuing again. We become complacent and comfortable where we are at. We take things for granted. We feel we are entitled. We have stopped pursuing.

So what is important enough for you to pursue? What are you willing to sacrifice for? Jesus? Community? Your family? Your career? Friendships? Are you actively chasing those things? Are you making any sacrifices? Or are you complacent? What is worth pursuing?

No comments: