Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Encouragment part II

Can 5 minutes make a difference? Definitely! Well, at least for me they can. They made a huge difference for me today and my guess is they might for someone else as well. Five, ten or even thirty minutes really isn't that big of a deal. You might miss a T.V. show that you can DVR or you might have to get up a little earlier or stay up a little later or give up a little bit of your downtime (seemingly non-existent if you have little ones), but man, can that time be used to invest in someone else's life. You might not call it an investment when you do it and you might not even know the impact it has, but to quote a friend of mine "it was really good for my soul" today because a friend took some of his valuable time (and he is super busy like all of us) to encourage me. And I really needed that today.

Lane took the time to hang with me a couple times today. To listen to me (a rare commodity), to challenge me (it is the loving thing to do), to laugh some with me (another important quality that is often over-looked) and to talk about life. I love conversations like that. Then he blew me away this afternoon by giving me some more encouragement. Words that affirm who am I and let me know that it matters. Encouragement that will continue to impact me for a long time.

See that is the thing with encouragement. It doesn't take a lot of time, but it does take being intentional. It means taking the focus off of myself for a little while and using that time to build someone else up. See I spend the vast majority of the day focused on me, but when I take that time to instead to pour into someone else, my time is way better spent.

So look around you. Who do you need to encourage? Who could benefit from you investing a few minutes of your day in them? It won't cost you much, maybe a little time, but it can make a huge difference in their life. What are you waiting for?

No comments: