Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Desperation

"Let's be leaders who are not merely dependent upon our own strategies...but rather are DESPERATE to see Him move in a way that is unexplainable and undeniable." - from Perry Noble's blog today

I wonder if a lot of the time I don't hear God because I don't really think I need Him. I have my plans, I am using the latest strategies, I know how to manage, but then... a crisis happens. My plans are turned upside down, my strategies don't work, everything is out of control... I become desperate. Then I turn to God. I know I can't handle it and am willing to listen. A crisis doesn't mean you aren't necessarily following God. It doesn't mean that He is disciplining you. It may be a reminder though. A reminder that He is in control, not us.

Some of us don't want to rely on others. We want to do it ourselves. Needing helps means we aren't in control. We aren't as strong as we think. It means we don't know as much as we think we do. We haven't got it all figured out. I wonder if that point of desperation... that point where we have run out of our options... is where God longs for us to be? So desperate for Him that we passionately pursue His vision and not our own. We keep asking and listening until we know.

Are you flying solo? Do you have it all under control? What happens when the crisis occurs (and it will at some point)? Are you desperate enough to search for God? Are you willing to ask others for help? Seems we have to get over ourselves before we are really of much use. As long as I'm in control, the outrageous, unexplainable and seemingly impossible probably isn't going to happen. Are you desperate for God?

No comments: