Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Limitations - good or bad?

Are your limitations a good or bad thing? Do you know what your limitations are? I've been thinking about my strengths and weaknesses. There are certain things that I suck at and other things that I do pretty well. I don't think I'm that different from most people. My limitations and strengths may different than yours but we all have some of both.

Now operating out of one of your strong areas can be energizing. You could do it all day long and not get tired of being there. But what about when you are asked to do something in an area of weakness? It can be draining. It can be frustrating. It can be discouraging. But it might be where you are supposed to be. We tend to think that we should only do what comes naturally or operate in our strengths. Our weaker areas we want to avoid. We don't feel that is where we should be.

I wonder if that is true all of the time? As I sat in a meeting last night, the topic of conversation was right in the middle of an area of weakness for me. It wasn't an energizing talk for me to say the least, but I still think I was suppose to be there. I know a lot of my limitations, what I'm good at and where I struggle, but most of the time it isn't really about my limitations. I wonder if a lot of times we place our limitations on others and more importantly on God? Just because I can't do it, doesn't mean the team can't. Just because I am not the best possible candidate in my mind, doesn't mean God can't use that specific weakness to show His strength. (See a little story about stuttering, murderer named Moses and what God used him for.) See we may love to operate in our strengths (and we should), but sometimes we learn the most when we operate in our weaknesses.

So what strength do you need to be using? What area of weakness do you need to grow in? Good chance you will be called to use both. Don't let your limitations keep you from doing what God may have planned for you.

No comments: