Friday, July 2, 2010

The weekend has arrived

It is finally Friday. This seems to be one of those weeks that has lasted twice as long as normal. Probably doesn't help that I wake up tired and am completely exhausted by 9 P.M. I'm ready for normal to return. Now if I could just define what normal is. Anyway, some random thoughts as I look forward to the weekend.
  • Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. Two simple reasons and another obvious one. The fourth at my parents house means lots of people - aunts & uncles, cousins, family friends, you name it. There is always someone stopping by during the day with anywhere from 20 to 40 being there for the fireworks at night with room for whoever else wants to show up. Everyone is welcome. For our extended family it is a time we can all get together. Christmas tends to be chaotic with lots on everyone's schedule so it is hard to get everyone together, but with the summer, the fourth tends to be a lot more flexible. Another favorite is homemade ice cream. We are talking vanilla, chocolate, peach, strawberry, Butterfingers and who knows what else might be available. Love my mom's homemade ice cream. The obvious one - somehow me and my cousin end up being the ones who light our night fireworks before the big show begins. So I get to play with fire and watch things blow up. Pretty good day.
  • Feeling like doing something to shake things up a bit. Seems like some friendships have gone a little stale and predictable. (If you know me, predictable is not high on my favorite word list.) Not sure yet what that means, but know there will be some things that are different in the near future.
  • Been spending some good time praying recently. I like those times in my life when prayer seems more like a continual, on-going conversation. It isn't always that way, but that is what I strive for.
  • Is it awkward for anyone else to hang out with people you used to know pretty well but now don't have much in common with? Had that happen several times recently. I'm not big on lots of small talk to begin with, but to try to have small talk with someone that I used to have deeper conversations with just seems weird. My thought usually runs along the lines of why?
  • Been reading the Harry Potter books recently. (I know I'm only about 5 years behind that sensation.) We watched all of the movies about 5 or 6 months ago so now I'm reading the books along with Lisa and Caleb. I like reading fiction along with the other books about leadership, etc. that I read. Looking forward to the last couple of movies coming out in the next year also. (No I won't be dressing up or standing in a long line to see it. Don't get the Potter, Twilight, Star Wars fans who have the desire to dress up in character to go see a movie. Guess I am just not a true fan.) Should I read the book first or watch the movie? Have liked watching the movie and then reading the book. More details than the movies (obviously) plus I am not thinking "wait, that isn't how it happened in the book" while I am watching the movie.

Okay campers, be safe out there this weekend and don't blow up any body parts while playing with the fireworks. Also make sure to "ooohh" and "aahhh" loudly after each firework explodes in the sky. Your neighbors will appreciate that. Catch you next week.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

For years we would go up to the big city of Liberty Kansas for the fourth of July. My aunt and uncles pool was up on a hill. If we hung around the pool at dusk we could catch the fireworks from Coffeyville, Independence, and Cherryvale. Some of my best childhood memories are when we would visit there. I don't think the family really does that anymore. It's cool that your family still does that!

This makes me think about family legacy. By what I've heard of your family and Lisas family, somewhere someone made the decision to model Christ no matter what and it has been passed down with the occasional hiccup I'm sure. Unfortunately your case is more the exception than the rule. In my family I'm hoping to start that legacy. A family that truly follows and models Christ to everyone they encounter is powerful and refreshing. I've seen far too much destructive behavior where bad example after bad example is at least partly to blame.

I'm jealous but very happy when I see strong Christian families going back a few generations. Keep that legacy going!