Friday, March 20, 2009

Thoughts on a Friday afternoon

A little catch up time on blogging since it has been about a week since I've been on here. So a few random things I've been thinking over the last several days.
  • I've had several people ask what I am currently reading so here is the latest. Finished reading "The Furious Longing of God" by Brennan Manning. This is the first book that I have completely read of his (started one other but didn't finish it). I really like his very poetic, but raw writing style. Sometimes I got lost in the words he used, but the message was pretty straight forward - God intensely desires and loves you. We can tend to get wrapped up in the things in our lives and forget how much He loves and even likes us. Good book to remind you of that one important fact. Also read "A Contrarian's Guide to Knowing God" by Larry Osborne while we were in Atlanta for spring break. Parts of this book felt like I could have very easily have written it based on my own contrarian point of view. Another book I would recommend especially if you have felt you might not measure up based on what other's tell you a Christian should look like. The book breaks down some of the myths of what spiritual disciplines (like a quiet time, certain amount of time praying in the morning, etc.) are, which is a tool, but not commands that have to be followed in a certain way. Very freeing if you have grown up in the church and heard you have to do things a certain way. Really what we sometimes claim as essentials are more like helpful suggestions, not really the commands we make them out to be. Just started reading Andy Stanley's "Principles of the Path". I think this is going to be one of those books where I am thinking yeah that is common sense, but then why don't we actually live that way.
  • Had a great spring break trip to Atlanta. (See Lisa's blog for more details on that.) First time I've been able to go anywhere this time of year in almost 20 years. Next year, I think I am going to try to go skiing at the end of February. Loved getting to see our family and glad that we will get see them again in a couple of months.
  • Had some good conversations with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law when we were there. They are part of our community even though we don't get to talk to them as frequently as we like. My brother-in-law probably challenges my view of the church's role more than anyone else I talk to. Love that our passions are similar, but we sometimes have different perspectives. Helps me see things that otherwise I might miss.
  • Asked Lisa what part of my personality I should change while we were driving down to Atlanta. Aren't you glad you don't have to put up with my questions all of the time? Feeling I want to change directions on some of my relationships and that probably starts with my personality. Still haven't landed on a definite thing yet, but I have a pretty good idea what it might be. Let the experiment begin.
  • Friendships have been on my mind a lot the last week (big surprise, huh?). Haven't talked to several of my close friends in a couple of weeks and feeling disconnected from them. Another friendship has changed significantly and won't be as much a part of my day to day life. I think I am okay with this as I realize that it is just a change of season in that friendship. Still weird though.

Looking forward to getting back in the rhythm of writing more consistently again. Also have one of those feelings that there are going to be some changes coming around soon. By the way, I am one of those people who like change.

No comments: