Monday, August 9, 2010

No clue what I'm doing

I find it interesting when people ask me for advice (not that it happens that often) because I usually have no clue what I am doing. The best I have to offer is that I might be a little farther down that particular road (experience or old age, whatever you want to call it) and can tell you what mistakes I've made in getting to where I'm currently at (hopefully you can learn from other's mistakes). I don't have it all figured out and I probably won't ever have it all figured out. I love the process though... not the process of learning through my mistakes (that sucks), but the process of helping someone else. I love to get the opportunity to encourage someone. To help them out even though I don't feel like I have a clue what I am doing. It is a good reminder for me that if I'm available that I can be used.

Now on the other end of the spectrum are those who seem to have it all figured out. I don't know what to do with them. Doubts, insecurity, not sure what steps to take... those I understand, the amazingly self assured... not so much. They act as if they have all of the answers. Maybe it is confidence in themselves. Maybe they do have it nailed down. I don't know, but I sure have a hard time relating to them. They appear to walk through life and never question their decisions. They are right and they are happy to tell you why.

Just thinking about that yesterday as I had a conversation with someone as they tentatively step out. Not sure where they were headed, what waited down the road for them, but still knowing they were supposed to move forward. I can't tell you the answers either, but I am more than happy to go with you and try to figure it out as we go. I may not have the answers that you are looking for (actually I will probably have a lot more questions than answers), but I'm available to try to figure it out with you.

Any other clueless people out there?

No comments: