Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hang on

Is hanging on enough? Seems to be a season when that is about all I can manage. I feel I have given about everything in me and that still doesn't seem to be enough. The demands far outweigh the supply right now. Grasping for a reason to serve and to love when I don't want to. When I really want to throw in the towel and join the masses in just caring about myself. But (and it is a huge but), I think we were created for way more than that. We are to live in community; to love and be loved; to serve and to be served; to encourage and be encouraged; to pray for each other; to go through life together while we pursue Jesus. But still I wonder if hanging on is enough while I search for that type of community?

As things seem to be overwhelming me, it is amazing how much a simple word of encouragement can be refreshing in that time. Last night a friend of ours expressed her thanks to me for doing some things I love to do anyway. But I can't tell you how much that meant to me. Sometimes I need to hear that. That acknowledgement that it matters. That it is worth it. When from my perspective I am having trouble seeing the point, it is good to have a reminder that serving and loving is always the right answer. A word of encouragement is such an easy thing to give, but so rarely used. That simple act made my week and helped give me the strength to keep moving forward even while I want to just quit on people. So Kim, thanks for some much needed words of encouragement at just the right time!

If you feel at the end of your rope, feel alone in your struggles, feel your friends have disappeared when you need them the most... hang in there for today. Hang in there while God is working. Even though it may be tough to see and you don't feel like it, He is there. And really that is more than enough.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Encouraging. Thank you.