Friday, August 27, 2010

Airport thoughts

Spent a little time hanging out at the Dallas airport today. I always find this interesting. Here are few things I noticed while there and some additional random thoughts from the day.

  • On the automatic door going into the airport this morning, I notice in big, bold letters that it says "This door opens". Wait a second, are there doors that don't open? Aren't those called windows or walls? Not sure what to do with this. Are people really confused that a door would open? Seems obvious to me, but maybe I am just quicker than the average airport visitor.
  • I had this thought as I waited in the security line at 5:30 this morning. (Random thought... why are this many people here this early in the morning? Seriously, the line was as long as I've ever seen it. Who wants to fly this early?) So why do liquids have to be in 3 ounce or smaller containers? If you are going to make a bomb on a plane with these items, couldn't you still make one... only it would be a small one? Also, could you just take 6 small bottles of the liquid you needed? I don't think there is a limit except that they have to fit in a small plastic bag. Seems a small bomb would still be effective, but this is outside my expertise.
  • Going through security in Dallas I noticed that you couldn't take tools longer than 7 inches on board. So are ones that are 6 1/2 inches okay? Does that extra 1/2 inch make that much difference? Also after this it listed that chainsaws, drills, etc. were not allowed. Really? Are there that many travelers wanting to take their chainsaws with them that you need to specifically address this?
  • Also I got "randomly" selected for extra security measures. They ran the electronic wand over my hands and then the tips of my fingers. Not sure what to make of this? What exactly were they looking for? This was a first for me. Also is it just me or does anyone else start feeling guilty just because they are selected for the extra security? I start wondering if the other passengers will now avoid sitting by me on the plane as I might be a threat.
  • Like that they post what color threat we are currently under. Purple? Lime green? Plaid? Really it doesn't matter because I don't know what the various colors mean. This isn't like when you are on the beach and they fly the red flag warning you not to go into the water. I can see the huge waves and understand the danger. No matter what the color security threat we are under, it all looks the same to me at the airport. Also I don't think I will suddenly change my mind to fly because we are now under an orange security code. Maybe I ought to check that out before I go to the airport. I could always get up at 4:00 a.m. and check the security color code first before I decide if I want to take a ride on the airplane.
  • Where else, but on an airplane, would you be excited to get a package of 6 peanuts? People act like they have just won the lottery because they got a "free" snack and a bathroom size cup to have a drink. Maybe if you are lucky, you might also get some crackers. Wonder if we started handing out small snacks at church like goldfish crackers if people would get excited? I mean I know the 3 and 4 years old like this, but would it be as exciting as the 6 peanuts you get on the plane?
That doesn't even touch on the people watching that I got to do. Definitely an interesting mix of people at the airport, but that is another post all to itself. Hope your Friday was as entertaining as mine was at the airport. Actually, I hope yours more exciting than that. And remember be careful with those long tools.






No comments: