Monday, August 23, 2010

Looking forward

My youngest son is energetic to say the least. His approach to life is 100% all out from the moment he wakes up (well maybe not immediately as he doesn't tend to be a "morning person") until he collapses in bed at night. He sees most things as "awesome" and can't wait to take on life. So when he is looking forward to something, you get to hear about it frequently. This is one of the reasons we don't tell him where we are going on vacation until it is close to the time when we are leaving.

This last week was no different. He asked multiple times what day it was and when would it be Sunday. He couldn't wait for Sunday to get here. Why? Well, see last week he was baptized and this Sunday would be the first time for him to take communion. He couldn't wait. He was looking forward to the experience. He was simply excited and was ready for it to be Sunday.

I love that part of his personality (most of the time). The joy he has in what he gets to do. The 100%, full throttle experience of life. His first thought on Sunday as he climbed out of bed was that it was going to be be an awesome day because he finally got to take communion that day. My thought... I wonder why I don't approach communion like that? Why isn't my first thought about the opportunity I get to spend time with God and how awesome that will be? Wonder why I don't look forward to life with the same enthusiasm? Maybe if I recognize that today is going to be awesome simply because I get to chase after Jesus, then I will experience the joy of living life at full throttle.

What about you? Do you approach life with a wondrous joy and anticipation of what could be? Or do you wake up expecting the worst, only to find it come true? Wonder how things would look if on Monday morning we were already looking forward to communion on Sunday? Wonder if that is what it is really suppose to look like? Maybe that is part of the child like faith we are called to experience.

No comments: