Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A little reflection

Had one of those strange moments last night of "who would have thought it". I was briefly on facebook last night and had the chance to IM with a couple of friends. The thing that struck me was that I met both of them shortly after moving to Tulsa... almost 20 years ago. One of them I coached in soccer for a couple of years, the other one I had in my small group while he was in high school. We have remained friends over all of those years. I've gotten married and had 3 boys in that time while each of them have gotten married and had two kids. One is pursuing his dream of a career in medicine, while the other has switched from his job in management several years ago to now learning Chinese in Taiwan. There have been a lot of highs and lows in our lives during those years. Times when we leaned on each other. Times when I wondered if our friendship would last. The strange thing while I have been friends with them both for almost 20 years that I continue to learn new things about them. As we continue to grow and change a part of them has been weaved in my life during those times. While we don't talk nearly as often as we used to, we still can go from hanging out and having fun to seriously deep in no time at all. They stretch me and challenge me to see life differently. They ask me tough questions and keep me on my toes. And I love that. I love that even after that long, I look forward to being around them and talking to them. Look forward to the fun to be had and the serious conversations that take place. Just a little reflection on two friends who have been a huge part of my life over the long haul.

No comments: