Monday, May 24, 2010

Amazed

When did amazing stop being amazing? I often hear people describe something they like as amazing. This burrito is amazing. Really? You are amazed... stopped in your tracks... can't find the words to describe... in awe of... a burrito? It doesn't bother me that people describe the non-amazing as amazing, but what really amazes you? When was the last time your jaw dropped at how incredible something was? When did you have to say "wait a minute" let me soak this in because this is one of those once in a lifetime experiences? When was the last time you stood and stared (probably with your mouth open a little bit) because you could not fathom how something could be this wonderful? When did amazing come to mean a little bit better than I thought?

I wonder if we don't settle for less. We could have amazing, but we settle for pretty good. We dream of something a little beyond where we are financially, a marriage that is just a little bit better, a church that might be a little more like Jesus was... we settle for something a little beyond what we can accomplish. What we can accomplish isn't usually that amazing. But if we could be just a little better, say the right words more often, follow the plan a little closer, have things go our way just a bit more, then life would be amazing. Really? Is that what amazing means?

I want things that will totally blow my mind. Things that are so far outside of anything I can accomplish on my own. The dreams I have... I want something that totally shatters them. That is amazing. Are you settling for good because you are afraid to expect amazing? Is it possible we our setting our sights a little too low?

Have an amazing day!

No comments: