Monday, March 1, 2010

Bright days

What brightens your day? This week for me, the following statement in an e-mail did it... "Just checking in". Nothing profound or something that took a lot of time or energy, just the simple fact that a friend practically loved me. He cared enough about me to continue to invest in my life. Out of the 24 hours he was given that day, he chose to spend part of it on me.

The big things may get our attention, but out in the margins is where life happens for me. The margin in my life is where relationships happen. My relationship with God, my wife, my friends... all of those happen in the margin. If I run at full speed with no room or time for others then I miss out. Busyness doesn't allow me to love or be loved, it just keeps me busy with things. The next thing on my never-ending list, the thing that will promptly be forgotten in 24 hours, the project I want to get done... all of those have a place, but they shouldn't push me to the limit. I can't sustain the pace of living life at the limit. It crowds out the important and it happens oh so easily. We convince ourselves that we are busy, maybe even busy doing good things, and that what we are doing is important. It may be true, but if we don't have margin for our relationships, then what does it matter?

So what brightens your day? Maybe the more important question is how are you going to brighten someone else's day? If you are at the limit, then it might be pretty tough to allow either.

No comments: