Thursday, March 25, 2010

3 conversations

Funny how three short conversations can energize me. Last night I had three distinct conversations, none of which lasted more than 5 or 10 minutes, that continue to impact my thoughts today. I didn't really say a whole lot, but mainly listened. Heard people speaking from their heart about what is impacting their lives at this point. Basics of those conversations were as follows:
  • One talked about the discovery of what true joy looks like for him. He was talking about an experience he had recently that allowed him the to be selfless, to learn to follow instead of lead, to be surrounded by community and to love and be loved. The question he had was - so how do I bring that to my everyday life now? I've experienced it, now so what? (One of my favorite questions and one of the toughest to answer.)
  • Another conversation was about following the prompting of the Holy Spirit even when you don't know why exactly. I love when people do this. Risk the unknown to experience what God has planned. It can be scary, but man, it can also be exciting. Love to hear that mix of fear with excitement of the possibilities. Isn't that really where we should be living most of the time anyway? Waiting to see what God is going to do next.
  • The other conversation was about laying down the baggage he is carrying around. Knowing he is loved as he is. No additional clean up needed before he is good enough to be loved. The fact his past doesn't define who he is. We all have a history. It shapes us and our life experiences are part of the process of molding who we are becoming, but we don't have to have arrived to be loved. I told him I don't think we ever arrive during our life. We continue to grow, to wonder what is in store next, to make mistakes, to learn and to keep chasing after Jesus. I wonder how much ego someone must have to think they have arrived and have it all figured out? I think I continue to learn more of just how much I don't know.

Three conversations, none of them probably registered as life changing for the people, but for me... it gave me hope. Hope in the fact that people care. There are others who crave community. Others who have doubts and baggage to deal with. People willing to risk being real and more importantly willing to pursue a life chasing after Jesus. A much needed night for me. A small glimpse of what energizes me.

No comments: