Monday, February 1, 2010

Pardon the interruption

Maybe it is just the perspective I have at my age. Maybe it is the fact that things were slowed way down the past four days due to the snow we received. Maybe it is the relationships that have suffered because of the pace we keep. Whatever it is, the following question has captured my attention today.

I understand you are busy, but are you actually doing anything?

I hear the comment about being "so busy" from so many people that I don't think it even registers with me anymore. I know there are times when we can be extremely busy, but the real question is it busy with anything that makes a difference or just busy? We seem to feel the need to fill up all of the minutes of our day. Time spent doing things, but what exactly are we doing? A year from now will it matter? A week from now? Does it even matter an hour from now? Busy does not equal productive or important. Busy equals busy. Nothing more, nothing less. The next time your schedule feels wildly out of control, stop and ask yourself what it is your are actually doing.

Pardon me if the next time you tell me how busy you are if I roll my eyes. I am tired of the important being shoved to the side for the sake of busyness. I have decided to step off the hamster wheel for a while. Running, but getting no where. I want to do some things that matter and not just be busy. Sorry to interrupt your busy schedule, please proceed with what you were doing before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good sir... One of my favorites yet and I am among the worst at using it! I am up at 5A to put in some study time on Organic Chem... useless... instead I am social networking... not useless! Ha!

You can bet though I won't be tellin you I am busy any time soon! Hope all is well.

Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

-Wooderson Dazed and Confused-