Thursday, February 4, 2010

Let me tell you a story

About a year and half ago I had an idea. One of those ideas that when I ran it past my wife I am sure she was thinking "Oh crap! What are we in for this time?" (She probably didn't say crap, but whenever I say I have an idea it causes her to hesitate and wonder what we are in for now. Anytime I start a conversation this way, I am sure she thinks I am about to rock the boat and usually she is right.) It started with something I read (I think from one of Craig Groeschel's books, but I wouldn't guarantee it) as a lot of my ideas do. The basic plan was to open our home and lives to some incredible friends every Saturday night. Hence the "open refrigerator night" was born.

We didn't have a clue what it would look like, but we had buy in from everyone. I can honestly say we look forward to Saturday nights every week. Our boys are disappointed if for some reason not everyone is coming over to our house on Saturday. Those nights are also some of the nights I have laughed the hardest. Any game we play has the potential for lots of laughter. Whether it Kelli's competitive side coming through, inappropriate (not sure that there is much off limits with this group) comments made (and not just by the guys either) or just the fun of being together. Dinner allows us a chance to talk about life, from the serious to the not so serious. It is a chance to slow down and enjoy each other.

I also have a greater appreciate for those with the gift of hospitality. To prepare dinner for usually 12 or 13 people (with several more to be thrown in the count when they get a little older) was an new experience. I had no clue what was involved, but love the chance to do it. I often think of how easy my parents and Lisa's made it look. We grew up with people always coming over and they still can prepare for 20 people to invade their houses without it phasing them. I also think about Patricia Wilson and how often she has opened their home and prepared food for large numbers of people. (Teenagers no less.) About how easy Pat Howe makes it look as well when their family comes over. (And family includes a lot of people.)

The friends that come over - Shanna, Brian, Beth, Cole, Levi, Shurabe, Hope, Lane, Kelli, Canon, and Ledger - have impacted our live tremendously. These are some of the people we choose to go through life with. The friends we laugh with, lean on and enjoy life together. What started as an idea a year and half ago, is so much better now than I could have ever imagined. Thank you for being such a huge part of our lives.


1 comment:

brianj33 said...

This night is a huge part of our lives. Thanks.