Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Commitment

How committed are you? What would your list of committed to "no matter what" look like? My guess is those are the things you care about the most.

I went and saw "The Book of Eli" last night. Good movie and I also happen to like most of Denzel's films. One of the thoughts I had after the movie was how committed Eli (Denzel's character) was to his purpose. 30 years spent for one purpose. Sounds like some serious commitment to me. So what are you willing to stand for? Who are you willing to stand by?

Had a friend throw out the idea that dating may actually be a training tool for divorce. We learn how to break up. How to walk away from the other person. A practice of how to walk away from marriage later on. Don't know if I buy the idea, but it made me think. We see so much that trains us to just walk away. That everything is disposable. Tired of a relationship just walk away. Don't feel like pursuing something anymore, then just quit. Kind of the opposite side of the mantra "if it feels good, then do it"...."if it doesn't feel good, then walk away".

Commitment means more than just feelings. It is that "no matter what" attitude. Even if I don't feel like serving someone, I will. Even if I don't feel happy at the moment, I will keep at it. Even though they drive me crazy (because they are just like me or just the opposite of me), I will still stay with it. Commitment is our choice in spite of what we may be feeling. So what are you willing to commit to?

No comments: