Wednesday, July 21, 2010

When do you have enough information?

How much do you need to know before you make a decision? Waiting for all of the information before you decide? Do you want to be a 100% sure? If so, I am guessing you won't ever make the decision. If you are married, looking back to when you were dating or when you proposed, did you know everything there was to know about your spouse? I've been married almost 19 years now and I am still learning new things about Lisa. So if I had waited to have 100% of the information, I would still be waiting to ask her to marry me. What about the job you have now? Did you know everything about it when you started? I'm guessing that there have been a few surprises along the way that you didn't know about when you made the decision to accept the job. Do you understand how your body works? Ever gone to the doctor and have them say it appears you might have a virus or it might just be a cold or it could be something else? We don't make decision with all of the information. We usually make decisions with just enough information. Enough to make a decision which way we are going. Not all of the facts, but enough.

Ever had a discussion with somebody about God? You know, the person waiting until they understand it all before committing. I am still learning things about God and will continue to until the day I die. They want to know everything. How does God do this? How is that possible? Those questions used to frustrate me. Now, I try to explain as best as I can. Give them the information that I can, but knowing I can't answer it all for them. At some point you make a decision based on the "just enough" information. Even indecision is making a decision in the end. What is enough information for you?

Now there is another type of person that frustrates me beyond just about anyone else. It isn't those who question things. I get that. Matter of fact, I like that quite a bit. No, the person who annoys me is the one who just gathers information. They don't ever use it though. In the church, this is the person who has listened to hundreds of sermons but doesn't serve because they just aren't sure where they are suppose to be involved. They need a little more information before they commit to anything. They stay on the sidelines gathering information, willing to critic others, offering their opinions, but just never really getting around to doing anything. They want to make sure they are 100% sure before they commit. Hmm... I don't think I will be waiting around for you to gather all of your information. Do you have enough information to make a decision to do something today? If you have questions, by all means ask, but please make a decision to do something.

No comments: