Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Which to choose?

Does anyone else struggle with knowing when to say something or when to keep quiet? Struggle with how to balance the difference between challenging someone in love and just beating them up? I want clear guidelines. Well... not really, as I don't generally like strict rules, but sometimes it would be nice to "know" that you are doing the right thing. I need to have a conversation with a friend, but absolutely don't know what is the most loving thing to do. Listen and not say much while I try to be encouraging or challenge him to examine his actions as of late. Hard to know when someone needs to just be loved and when the loving thing is to confront them about their unwise and maybe sinful decisions.

I wonder if that is part of God's plan? Not giving us a step by step plan so that we have to keep coming back to him for guidance. He gives us room to use our judgement. A chance to grow and try to apply the guidelines He gives us. Doesn't make the conversation I need to have any easier, but glad He trusts me enough to make the decision. Even if I mess it up this time, He still keeps letting me learn and try again.

No comments: