Thursday, July 29, 2010

One of my favorite words

Can you be too honest? Think about that question some. Are there degrees of honesty? Can you be honest to a point, but once you cross that line you have become too honest? Honesty seems to me to be an either/or type of thing. Either you are honest or you aren't.

I think what people mean when they say that is that you have crossed the boundary of the social acceptable topics. You know, those topics that when people talk about them create an awkward (One of my favorite words. It just sounds awkward saying it.) moment of silence. Are there topics that you can't be honest about? Again that doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why not be honest? Awkward... okay I get that, but let's just call it that.

I like that I have friends that I can talk about those taboo topics. I can ask those questions that may be deemed inappropriate. We become stoic on conversations about our finances, about what our relationships are really like, about those thoughts we don't share with others... you know, we don't want to be too honest about the things that really bother us. We choose to hide behind the fear of too much honesty. That people can't handle us being honest about what we are really like. I wonder if it is more about us not wanting to reveal our flaws than them being able to handle our honesty.

So I guess the question I have is this - Are you willing to talk about the awkward?

1 comment:

Bee said...

How boring would life be if we all talked about the un-awkward? I vote yes - we should be willing to talk about the awkward. It's more interesting that way.