Monday, July 19, 2010

A week condensed

A weeks worth of random thoughts and happenings in no particular order.
  • I love riding roller coasters. Got to ride a couple last week. Especially loved the fact that I was able to walk right up and ride one of them immediately. No line to wait in and it was one of the ones where your feet hang down (those are my favorite). Several loops and corkscrews. Nice ride.
  • Had my first experience eating Ethiopian food last night. It was at a one year celebration party for when our friends got to bring home their amazing daughter that they adopted. Seems like she has been a part of our lives for longer than that. It was cool to see the pictures of when they were in Ethiopia and when they arrived back in the states last year after adopting her. Can't say that Ethiopian food is one of my favorites, but she definitely is one my favorites.
  • Schlitterbahn is definitely worth it. Best water park that I have been to. Loved hanging out with my family especially in the wave river. The slides were pretty cool as well, even though we never knew for sure where we going to end up at. Nice break from the normal.
  • My wife is amazing. I love just sitting down and talking with her. Yesterday was an especially long (and somewhat frustrating day), but we got to hang out last night for a couple of hours and talk. I love the insight she brings into the conversation and also that she is willing to patiently listen to me ramble on for quite awhile. I probably take her for granted more often than I should and don't tell her often enough, but she is freaking awesome!
  • I don't like having to have discipline. It really isn't any fun. I know their are benefits of it down the road, but it doesn't make it any more enjoyable at the moment.
  • Had the chance to open some challenge cards last Sunday at church. Love this idea, even though it will require the previously mentioned discipline. Lisa and I decided to do them together. Ours were to work out at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes and to memorize Matthew 5 by the end of the year. Like that the challenge cards will stretch the faith of those who opened them and create lots of possibilities of growth for our church. Being stretched is almost always required if you want to grow in your faith. It doesn't happen by just sitting on the sidelines or doing the same things that haven't worked in the past.
  • Enjoyed the nice break of reading fiction for the last several weeks (on the sixth Harry Potter book right now with one more to go after that) and looking forward to reading Steven Furtick's book (Sun Stand Still) that is coming out in September. His blog is one of the most consistently challenging ones that I read. The book is about daring to believe God for the impossible. We settle for so much less than God is able to do.

Looking forward to the week. What has moved you this last week? How are you being stretched in life right now? Ready to jump in the deep end? I am. Bring on the week.

No comments: