Monday, August 10, 2009

Taken for granted

"So you'll never understand the mystery at work in all that God does." (Ecclesiastes 11:5b) That verse rings true. I try to understand the whys, how things will turn out, the plan that God is working on, but usually I never fully understand. Oh, I might catch a glimpse of it or understand better on some days than others, but most of the time it is a complete mystery. I like that (well, most of the time). I like a God that is way more creative, way more in control, way more loving than what I can imagine. God is mysterious and I don't understand how he works, but I know that I can trust HIm. I think that is enough for me.

"Even if you live a long time, don't take a single day for granted." (Ecclesiastes 11:8a) Wonder how many days have gone by that I have taken for granted? So busy planning for the future that I forget to live in the present. So worried about the past that I forget about today. Today has much to enjoy. What good do I need to pursue today? What am I putting off today because I am taking for granted that I can do it tomorrow - a moment to encourage someone, a chance to say "I love you", a thank you that needs to be said today, a chance to play instead of being serious, a time to laugh with some friends, a chance to have a conversation? Are you taking anything for granted today?

Random fact that I learned from the Snapple lid this morning - seals only sleep 1 and 1/2 minutes at a time. Does that make the mothers of a newborn feel better? At least you are getting more sleep than the seals.

Have an incredible day and find someone to tell them why they have brightened your day! Get busy enjoying today and living in God's mystery.

No comments: