Thursday, August 20, 2009

The cost of caring

Sometimes I wonder if caring about other people is worth it. Is investing your time over and over again worth the indifference that is often encountered? I struggle with knowing if it really matters that I care. I often want to walk away from those relationships, but then sometimes, like last night, I catch a glimpse of why caring about and serving others is so important. The time invested, the heartache, the confrontation, the consistent love, serving again and again, the questions - all worth it when a difference is made. A lot of the times though, we don't get to see the difference as it is working below the surface. We may never know how us caring for someone will impact their life. That is the part I struggle with. See it isn't about the results. It is about me loving and serving. I haven't been promised that I will even know what the purpose of my role is, but I know that I am to care.

So is caring worth it? Definitely! Is it tough? A lot of the time - yes. But those are probably the wrong questions to ask. The better questions may be - are you showing others that you love them? Are you investing in others by serving them? If I am to pursue being like Jesus, those aren't optional. Those are what I am suppose to do. The results? Those aren't my concern. So who do you need to love and serve today? Who are you suppose to be investing in? What excuses do you need to quit making so that you can start caring? It may be tough, but then again we haven't been told that it would be easy. Matter of fact, I think someone said the road would be hard and few would choose it.

No comments: