Monday, August 24, 2009

Uncomfortable leadership

If you are not uncomfortable in your work as a leader, it's almost certain you're not reaching your potential as a leader. - Seth Godin

We like the comfort zone. That place where we feel like we have things down to perfection. I like the statement above probably because I feel very uncomfortable when leading. Am I doing the right thing? Am I just going along with things because that is the way we have always done them? It is easier to be just one of the followers or even easier to be a critic. Pointing out the problems is usually the easy part, actually doing something about them is a lot more uncomfortable. "It's uncomfortable to propose and idea that might fail. It's uncomfortable to challenge the status quo. It's uncomfortable to resist the urge to settle." So where are you - comfortable or uncomfortable? Do you need to become more uncomfortable in your leadership? If you feel like you are pushing the envelope and way outside of your comfort zone, congratulations because you may be leading exactly where you are needed. Think about it some because we are all leading someone whether we are intentional about it or not. Hope I've made your day a little more uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Welcome back Kenneth

In some ways I have probably relaxed and grown somewhat comfortable, probably more in work and specifically in my Jesus message there (that is in word or action). *I know people don't think of "evangelism" necesarilly as leadership, but when you do it intentionally there are a great deal of leadership skills used there.

I don't usually allow myself too much comfort in the way of dialogue and working through ideas etc. I admit that I do occaisionally lose hope which can sometimes result in moments of "check out". But when I am considering kingdom stuff I am usually stretching out there to try and find the Spirit, who through the years I have found is already out there "out of bounds" doing his thing.

When it comes to trying to understand truth I think generally I make some uncomfortable because I tend to want to hear the whole argument before trying to find a shelf for me to put it on.

That's me.