Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Quick book update

Mentioned a little while back (Can't believe I didn't post anything for nearly three weeks! Lots of thoughts, just not many to write about on here.) that I had several books lined up to read. I finished "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan last week and am currently reading three other books right now. They are very diverse which may make my thoughts even more random than normal. (That should scare you.) Current reads include "What the Dog Saw" by Malcolm Gladwell, "The Gutter" by Craig Gross and "Scouting the Divine" by Margaret Feinberg. Just wanted to give you a warning as I am sure these will invade my thoughts and influence what I write here. Basically what I've read so far deals with the following - Have we denied the power of the Holy Spirit? (Forgotten God), random interesting stories of people that have influenced your life that you may not ever have heard of (What the Dog Saw), the difference between "them" and you is small (The Gutter), and how the life of a modern shepherdess brings to light a lot of what the bible has to say in its use of shepherding language (Scouting the Divine). Just wanted to give you a quick update (or warning depending on how you view it) of some of the things that are on my radar.

Not sure if I will give a full review on any of these books (not really my thing), but I am willing to give a recommendation (unlike Lane and movies now) if you want more details. I really appreciate the encouragement from Sheyenne and Joel about reading "The Gutter". From the other books I've read by Craig Gross, I really like his style of just telling it like it is. I like the challenge to be thrown down. Sometimes we need that raw challenge instead of trying to wrap it up all nice and neat so that it doesn't seem as daunting. When it seems so great that I can't handle it just means that I will have to rely on God to do it. I can guarantee you that will produce better results every time. Hope you encounter some of those challenges this week. Hang on as we enjoy the roller coaster.

No comments: