Thursday, November 19, 2009

For your consideration

How do you keep the team approach from becoming the committee approach? Big difference in feelings when you talk about someone being a team player versus being on another committee. So what's the difference between a team and a committee? I want to be a part of a team, but can do without more committees.

If you know something you do isn't right, but still carve out that you will still probably do it at times anyways - what does that say? Another favorite of mine is when I am told by someone "that is just the way I am." So can't people change? Isn't who we are determined by our choices? Is "that is just the way I am or the way things are" ever an acceptable answer? I get that people don't like change, but to say you can't change just doesn't seem right to me.

Can't most wrongs or sin be traced back to selfishness? Seems to me if we determined not to be selfish that most of the issues we deal with would be eliminated. Not saying that is easy in any way, but I don't think anyone should ever be told pursuing to be more like Jesus will ever be easy. Probably more fairly stated that it isn't for the weak and may very well be the hardest thing you ever do. Honestly serving your desires is easy compared to trying to serve others.

These are the random things I have been thinking about today. What has sparked your thoughts today?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Committees seem to be detatched. Teams, I think have people who take personal responsibilty for the team, the direction of the team, and for each other and the outcome. Committee members show up and express opinions and then dissapear detatched from the rest of the process and the outcome.

Selfishness and pride I believe are the root of all sin. Some of the most difficult commands of Jesus are things like love your enemies, forgive as you have been forgiven, go two miles, turn the other cheek.

I work in recovery and hear terrible stories of people who have been brutalized and struggle to obey these commands of Jesus. Yet everyone knows that (with wise/heathy boundaries) obedience, while difficult, is freeing. Essential for real living. What keeps us from obeying these commands?

For me it is years of security bound up in my pain. Unforgiveness is personal security- (selfishness). Or demanding reconciliation on my terms (pride).

This is where I think a community that values speaking the truth with humility, and holding each other to accountability is essential. Also grace and ongoing demonstrations of confession are essential to creating a place where people will risk taking off the mask.

Agree. Jesus said we had to die to live. Dieing is never easy.

Those are some thoughts.