Monday, November 23, 2009

Learning new words

I love Thanksgiving week. It seems like most people are already in Christmas mode (which I love Christmas as well) and tend to just fly by Thanksgiving. That's a shame. I like that we have a time that is set aside to pause and realize some of the things we can be thankful for. We don't seem to do that enough. We are so focused on the next thing that we seldom slow down and consider what we have that we can be thankful for. Thanksgiving and contentment don't seem to be real popular in practice. Seems to be a good theory most people buy into and want others to have, but aren't willing to experience it themselves. So what or who are you thankful for? Good question for me to ask myself as I wrestle with being content and trying to love others in my life.

A few random words that caught my attention this last week - opaque and editable. Lisa and I were discussing what it meant if something was opaque. I thought it meant you could kind of see through something, but not real clearly. Lisa thought is meant something more like a frosted window. She was of course right. It means impenetrable to sight. I'm not even sure that editable is even a word, but it was being used to convey that it was something that could be edited and not locked down. This was in a meeting that I was in for work. I was rather amused because I kept thinking edible in my mind. As they discussed it more, I kept trying to imagine someone trying to eat the things they were talking about. This is what happens when a creative mind (or maybe I am just A.D.D.) gets bored in a meeting. You start making things more interesting in your head to keep yourself entertained.

Here is the connection I made this morning between this two words (and you just thought it was some random story). As I have attempted to become less transparent with some people, or more opaque if you will, I have realized my life has become less editable (not edible, stay focused here). Without the transparency, I can become more set in my ways. I become less open to change because I can keep it all hidden from sight. Like an opaque window you can't see what is going on behind it. It might be good for privacy, but rarely does it help us to edit the areas in our life that may need to change. So what do you think opaque or transparent? Is transparency kind of like Thanksgiving, good in theory, but not something people put into practice? Wonder if my desire to be transparent works in a world where most people are more comfortable behind their opaque images?

No comments: