Monday, September 26, 2011

Investments of a lifetime

I've started this blog about five different times this morning.  Sorting through different thoughts and trying to find some common thread running through these seemingly contradictory ideas.  What I've landed on as the common thread of my thoughts this morning is that they are about people I've invested in.  Some who I don't see very often, but the conversations start as if there hasn't been any gap in time.  Some who encourage so naturally and others that seem to only find  faults.  Some who will call, e-mail or text every so often just to see what is going on and others who put little effort into our friendship or have walked away.  Some who are pursuing Jesus with their entire lives while others have found other things to chase after and have become more part-time fans of Jesus.  Some who I want to be more like.  Some who I am already too much like.

That is the funny thing about the people in your life... you never really know what you are getting into until you jump in.  It will be messy.  It might hurt.  It might challenge you.  It might be what helps keep your sanity intact.  It may be someone who encourages you as you grow.  It may be someone who drains your time and energy.  It may be someone who appreciates you or someone who takes you for granted.  It might be a person who helps make you a better person.  It might be someone who drags you down.  You have to jump in to find out the possibilities.

I've been thinking about 4 or 5 different people this morning.  A couple of them I am looking forward to spending some time with in the near future.  Chris and Jeff have been there through a lot of years.  We don't get to see each other very often as my brother-in-law lives in Atlanta and Jeff in Taiwan.  If I was to pick who I am most like in personality and the way I process things, these two would differently be at the top of that list.  I almost always walk away encouraged when I spend time with either of them, whether it is just hanging out together or spending time talking about the deeper things in life.  They are two guys who reflect what following Jesus looks like and whose advice I seek out.

Then there are a couple of guys who seem to point out all that is wrong with the world.  They definitely see the glass at least half empty and who drain me mentally in their theoretical discussions about the things in life.  The conversations revolve around what is important to them.  Then there are those who just don't have time.  They have busy lives and honestly a friendship ranks somewhere below their job, their family, their favorite sports teams and the other things going on in their lives.  It is a friendship on the side.

The thing is that I fall into all of those at some point.  I bring all of my insecurities, my baggage, my encouragement, my negativity, my thoughts, my priorities... my messiness into those friendships as well.  The thing is we are supposed to go through life together.  The good, the bad, the ugly... it is all part of the package.  Who are you sharing life with?  Trying to man up and do it by yourself?  It doesn't work.  Investing in others comes with risk, but doesn't anything that is worth pursuing?  You've got 24 hours today, what will you do with it?

2 comments:

A YEAR IN PRAYER said...

Just read your post but I have to ask "What if God wants you to go it alone"? That's what I feel God keeps on telling me. Don't rely on friends or family. Rely only on God. This is a test and God wants me to count on no one - no human! I must only rely on God and trust Him fully. It is so hard!

Kenneth said...

That is a tough one because while I believe that God calls us to count on Him for everthing that doesn't mean we don't have others in our lives. He tells us to meet together, to confess to one another, to sharpen one another... He expects us to live in community. What He doesn't want is us to put anyone else in the center of all of that. That is where He alone belongs. I don't think it is wrong to count on others ,matter of fact I think we are suppose to, but he is suppose to be the center of that as well. Not one or the other, but both.